Thursday, May 19, 2016

Integers in Elevation - Google Earth Activity

In my opinion, integers are one of the hardest things to teach. Trying to introduce the concept of negative numbers is a struggle. One of the ways we frequently see the concept of integer operations tested is in questions involving elevation. When I first introduced the topic of elevation and integers to my students this past year I got some knowing nods but mostly blank stares. I couldn't figure out why they were looking at me like I had just sprouted antlers until I realized -- most of these students have never been outside their neighborhood or city. I teach students who are mostly from lower income communities. These students have never seen the ocean so when I say "sea level" they don't have a picture in their minds to connect that with. They've never stared in wonder at a mountain in Colorado. They've never swam in the ocean and seen how water puddles in the marshy areas nearby.

I needed a way to build some prior knowledge with these kiddos so they could have a visual when they see these types of questions. I also wanted them to have a general knowledge of land forms and the wonders that are in this big, beautiful world. I needed a way to bring Mount Everest and the Dead Sea into our classroom.

Enter Google Earth.

I love Google Earth. I like that I can fly around to any spot on the globe. While this doesn't technically count as travelling, I can show my students some great spots in the world.

So, to teach integers and elevation I thought I could make a worksheet with different high and low elevation spots in the US and the World and ask them questions about it, so I did that. But, I wanted to take it further. I opened up Google Earth and began dropping pins in some spots I had found that were good examples of elevation.



 I added a description that included the country, an interesting fact, and the elevation. I also added a picture to help them add to their bank of knowledge.


I put all of the locations into a folder and saved it. I then created a blank worksheet that students will fill in as they follow the path on Google Earth and then answer questions about it.
I haven't used this activity yet. I plan on using it in the fall when we do our unit on Rational Numbers. It might take a bit of time, but I think it will be worth it to help my students build more real-world knowledge.

If you want to try it out, you can purchase the worksheets here (includes a blank copy to be used with Google Earth and a copy with the elevations already filled in for a less techy activity. Also includes answer key and directions page). If you don't want the worksheet but want to use the paths I created, click the links below to download. They should automatically start downloading as a .kmz file. Then when you click, they will open in Google Earth. (If you do not already have Google Earth on your desktop, they won't open. Download Google Earth for free here.)
If you try it, let me know what you think and how I can tweak it to make it better! For more Google Earth Activities, visit this website. They have great, free activities for teachers and I wish I was as awesome at Google Earth as they are.

Enjoy!


Google Earth Files: 
Part One includes 8 elevation spots in the US
Part Two are the highest and lowest points on the globe.
Part Three are some interesting spots in the world such as lowest known point under water, lowest on dry land, highest passable road, etc.
The Zip File includes all three Google Earth files and an instruction page.

Elevation Activity - Part One
Elevation Activity - Part Two
Elevation Activity - Part Three

Zip File with all three Activities and Instruction Page

No comments:

Post a Comment